So last night I had to stop feeding Nicole at 2:30am for the potential sedation this morning. I couldn't figure out the best way to max out what she could eat. I decided to "dream feed" her at 11:00pm and then wake up at 2:30am to give her another bottle. It kinda backfired...she wasn't all that hungry at 2:30am and didn't really eat much. Then when we got her up early this morning to go downtown she was really crabby. While I was putting in her eye drops I could hear her stomach growl. Poor soul. I knew it would be a long day but refused to eat until my baby could. We left home early, never know what kind of traffic to anticipate. Needless to say we got to the hospital really early and had to kill more than an hour. Nicole refused to sleep. Can you blame her? She was starving! And then just as we started to head to the clinic to register she passed out. Woohoo. And guess what??? She STAYED ASLEEP!! She stayed asleep for Dr. T. to examine her so we avoided the dreaded sedation!! How awesome is that!?
OK, so here's the scoop. The drops have worked a little. Her cornea is slightly less cloudy but the numbers are still quite high. The way Dr. T. explained it to us was that each machine reads the pressure differently, and it will read differently depending on what the child is doing at the time. She says the best way to look at it is to compare the value difference with the good eye. Last week the intraocular pressure (IOP) was reading anywhere from 27-50 in Nicole's PHPV eye. Her good eye was 8. Today the good eye was 16 and her other eye was 34. So we received a prescription for oral medication (Diamox...can you believe it??). She hates it. She has to take it four times a day and I basically have to continuously scoop it back into her mouth. Fun. We are booked for....big breath....our first examination under anaesthesia next week. Sigh. I knew it was coming. This basically means she goes to the OR and gets put to sleep so the doc can have a good look in her eye. Dr. T thinks it's the best way for Nicole right now. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. I know I'm scared. I hate handing her off to a stranger. But I know she's safe and in good hands there too. I guess it's just a necessary evil.
I am finding the morning and evening rituals of drops, meds (don't forget the reflux meds too....will be glad when she outgrows that!) and contact lens insertion/removal exhausting. Especially having a toddler running around too. So now that the two girls are asleep I am going to ignore all the toys and crafts scattered everywhere, climb right over them to sit and watch some TV with my hubby and try for a moment to forget about all this. At least until morning.
I'm exhausted for you...phew! That's a lot to take on top of the regular daily routine with kids. Sounds like Nicole is in good hands! That's great that she stayed asleep through the exam. A nice relief.
ReplyDeleteTry to take it easy and set aside some time for you (I know, easier said than done). I find a rested mom is a better mom. The mess can wait. It's not going anywhere ;)
*hugs*
You've got me chasing a latte today =)
ReplyDelete