Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Patch Patch Patch

Last Thursday our little Nicole got fitted for a contact lens and we were told to go home and practise for 7-10 days before seeing Dr. Tehrani in regards to patching.  Well, by the time we got home from the appointment there was a message telling us to come in today.  So as a result...ninth visit to the Eye Clinic completed today...and everything is positive again!  (And can you believe it we got in before our scheduled time? Must've been because I brought some of my squares to crochet!)
Dr. Henderson, who assisted in Nicole's surgery, examined her eye:

Taking a look

Here is the update:  Her pupil is still dilated from Atropine drops that she was taking but he thinks some of that will still clear.  He thinks she may have some astigmatism which also may correct itself.  It appears she has developed nystygmus (shaking eye) which will not correct itself.  As well, her eye has turned in slightly.  These are both due to the fact that she has spent nearly 3 months without usable vision.  Mike and I can't really see the nystygmus so we hope it is not very obvious.  As for the turn in her eye, routine is to wait until she has acquired as much vision as possible and then if it hasn't corrected to fix it surgically.  One step at a time though.  Our job now is to get her seeing out of that eye of hers! So today we have started the patching.  Two hours a day, and we have to stimulate her vision as much as possible during that time.  It was hard for me to cover her eye knowing that she would not be able to see but I just kept telling myself that we are doing this for her and hopefully one day she will be thankful (not for a very long time though I suspect ha ha).

My first time wearing a patch!


Mommy makes sure my patch matches my outfit! =)

A quick mention on how the contact inserting is going.  Well, not too too bad I guess.  I have successfully put it in while Nicole has been awake twice.  I have figured out that if I flip her on her left side she really has nowhere to move her head and I can slip the lens in.  I'll be honest, it ain't pretty.  It takes me a few goes to get that sucker in but she is quite patient with me.  I suspect this will change too...but hopefully by that time I will be a pro and I'll get it in on the first go!  I have only gotten the lens out once.  It isn't smooth either but hey, it's only been four days!  Next appointment is in four weeks and apparently every 4 weeks for the first six months.  We definitely are spending a lot of time at the Clinic.  You know it's bad when you bump into the doctors at Tim Horton's and they offer to buy you coffee...or you have entire conversations with the secretary on her way to lunch.  LOL.  Got to find the humor in it!




No comments:

Post a Comment