Saturday, September 24, 2011

Scare

In the last post I wrote about how Nicole had a fever.  She had it for 3 days and half way through the fourth day it broke.  That was yesterday.  She woke up from her nap a new baby.  She played normally and tumbled normally.  She is getting more courageous.  She cruises the couch and yesterday let go.  But then fell backwards and bumped her head.  Nothing more or less than the usual baby tumble.  I didn't think much of it. 
Fast forward to this morning.
She woke up normally.  She had breakfast normally.  Just as she was finishing her last bite of cereal she looked up and I caught the sight of blood...in her eye...in her good eye.  I nearly fainted.  I tried to get a good look.  Yup blood.  Under the iris.  Of her good eye! My hubby just got home from night shift so I was torn whether to wake him. But I had to.  He had mixed feelings about what to do about it but of course as her mom I didn't want to regret not having it looked at.  I mean if she had two strong eyes I wouldn't have thought twice about it.  But man does the world change when vision isn't 20/20. 
I called the Ophthalmologist Resident on call at the Eye Clinic.  It was 7:30am on a Saturday.  I was starting to feel like "that" mom.  She took my story and said it sounded like a burst blood vessel.  Did she have some trauma? Nope.  Oh yes.  She had fallen and bumped her little head the night before.  Sigh of relief.  Probably a result of that.  She would call me back.  My hubby went back to sleep.
Fast forward 2 hours.  About 10 minutes after Nicole fell asleep for her nap the Resident called back.  She said that given there had been some trauma  (Trauma? why in the world did she keep using that word!) she would like to have a look at her eye and make sure everything is OK.  She said she was between cases and heading to the OR, could I come now.  Now? Nicole was napping and in her PJ's.  My hubby was sleeping.  I was a disaster.  I said we could be there in an hour. Perfect.
So poor hubby got up and Nicole went downtown in her PJ's.  LOL.  That's OK.  I would've if I could have.
The Eye Clinic was locked up when we got there, but the Resident was waiting.  Kinda spooky.  I am so used to the place buzzing with people.  Nicole was her typical "I don't want anyone touching my eye or even thinking about touching my eye" self.  We pinned her, put drops in her, and then pinned her again so the Doc could take a look.  Everything looked great.  Thank Heavens.
The Doc was awesome and totally didn't make me feel like I overreacted.   She said that it could be caused from coughing, crying, or the bump on the head. Whatever it is there was no bleeding in her eye.   Her good eye. So very scary.
I feel so much better for having it checked out. 
Thank goodness for our Eye Clinic!!

3 comments:

  1. SO happy... relieved for you! Can't even imagine. I told my husband about this and he shuddered. We are always so worried that something could happen to the good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I hear ya on the break from patching but still feeling guilty. I went away this past weekend and Easton didn't have his contact or patch on for 2 days. In the long run, what is 2 days but it still bothered me. He has also had a cold this past week and has been constantly rubbing at this eyes, we've had plenty of contact drama to go with it. Sometimes it is just easier for everyone to take a break! So glad the eye scare turned out to be all good. When the kids were younger they were playing in the crib together with rattles. Azalea ended up with a blood bruise on her eyeball! If it had been Easton's good eye... I can't imagine!!! I learned no more "hard" toys in the cribs with kids anymore only "soft" ones! Ha. You live and you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. In the long run it doesn't matter and it's good for OUR health. LOL. And our family. Yesterday was our first day back at patching and we only did 2 hours because we wanted to fly a kite as a family. And it was a blast. Good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete